Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Quilt Blocks for Cancer

As you know I am a five year Stage 4 uterine cancer survivor.  I have had a desire to give back to those who suffer since I was cured.  I cut my hair last week to donate!

 I also started a Relay for Life team called the Lucky Ducks two years ago. 
Friends and mostly family have helped me to raise money for the American Cancer Society.  I still have Lucky Duck tshirts for sale in my etsy store and on my blog, all the money goes to Relay. 
 This year we will be unable to participate due to a family event.  I would still like to raise money and would like my Blog family to participate as well.

My Lucky Duck duck pond is always a big hit!

I was thinking about asking you, my blog friends to send me quilt blocks to assemble together to make a quilt to raffle off.  The quilt block could be a memorial, in honor of, or just a celebration of life.  Any pattern, 12.5"(or should they be smaller ?) unfinished.  If you would also like to just send a 5" square to use for a border with a message of hope written on it.

My just live bracelets have peach beads for Uterine cancer. 
The cards tells you to just live every day to fullest.
This should not be just a pink quilt.  I want to honor all cancers.  Peach is the color of my cancer.  The mother of one of my students died this year from ovarian cancer and I would like to use teal and create a block in memory of her.  Here is a link to other colors for other cancers.  I would like to collect the blocks through March 31st.  Assemble and find someone to quilt it for me in April and raffle it in May.

Tell me in the comments below if you think this is something you would like to participate in and you know someone who would help me out with quilting this as well.

BTW I had my yearly cancer check up Friday and my doctor who is AWESOME, said I am doing great!

Keep dreaming and living...Colleen

If you have never been to a Relay one of the most moving moments is when the luminaries are lit.
 Each one represents a lost life or a survivor. 
They line the track and are arranged on a hill spelling out HOPE.


5 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

I would love to help you out but cannot commit to it yet. I have 3 ministry quilts in the works right now. Give me a reminder in March and I will see how I am coming along. The requests for these quilts just keep coming in!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I would love to send you blocks. Last year I lost 3 dear friends - breast, colon, and pancreatic. And a family member to lung cancer.

Patty@inStitches said...

Colleen - I will send you a block for your quilt. Where do I find your address?
We are fortunate to be a cancer free family, Alzheimers is our particular enemy.

Patty@inStitches said...

Colleen - I would love to send you a block. I will be watching for details.

Shannon said...

Congratulations on the good news. It is a good feeling to know that things are going well. Looks like you have done a great job with you experience.