Saturday, October 26, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival, Fall 2013

Its time again for the Bloggers Quilt Festival!

AmysCreativeSide

Ive decided to enter my Star Trek quilt in the favorite group/bee quilt category.


This year I finished one of my oldest UFOs.  Way back in 1994- yes that's 20 years ago!  I cant believe I am that old!  Anyway I learned quilting from one of the original online quilt guilds-Quiltnet.  It is an email listserv.  I did tons of block and round robin swaps.  One of my favorite was a Star Trek block swap-original and Next Generation themed.

Above Klingon letters appliqued and the Enterprise.
There were 20 people in our group.  One person however took all the blocks and never sent any.  Oh well it happens.  In its place I made a a dedication block to my dad on my BL Sofia embroidery machine.  I even bought the Star Trek font for realistic letters.  
Dad decided on the layout.
Setting the blocks was always an issue for me.  They were all so very different in size for 12.5" unfinished.  LOL!  Finally I decided on a wonky setting using spacey type fabric.  

BTW did I tell you my dad claimed these blocks back in 1994?  Yep!  He waited almost 20 years for the finished quilt.

My friend Gina is an awesome long arm quilter so she custom quilted it for me.  There was no other way to do it.  There were so many different fabrics appliqued, embroidered and pieced.   She did a wonderful job!

The back is made up of 4 different one yard star trek prints featuring the enterprise, Kirk and Spock, and old comic book covers.

My dad loves it!  


name:  Star Trek quilt
made by:  Quiltnet/Q-xchg Star Trek swap group & me
long arm quilted:  Gina Allen, ginabean quilts
blocks: made 1994
quilt finished: June 2013
size:  about 70 x 80

keep dreaming...Colleen
Kalli-cat helped me bind the Star Trek quilt.
She is still missing.  It has been three weeks.

5 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great Quilt!

Jessica said...

Great choice for the festival! Your sister did an awesome job with the quilting, too :) Sorry Kalli hasn't returned yet :( Thinking of you!

CitricSugar said...

I'm so glad your dad is happy with it after that long wait!!

Really cool quilt - I actually just finished a StarTrek themed quilt last month! It's lovely to know there are other quilt/scifi combo nerds out there. :-)

Dana Gaffney said...

Too bad there isn't an oldest UFO category ;). Your dad looks happy and the quilt is wonderful. I'm so sorry Kalli cat hasn't come home yet, I'm keeping good thoughts for both of you.

Katy Cameron said...

Lol, your dad has a lot of patience, I think mine would have been phoning every week or so demanding to know if I was done yet ;o)