Sunday, November 10, 2013

fabric choices

Choosing fabric for a project can really be hard. 
 Im linking up with Jess at Quilty Habit as part of her Sewing With Certainty series.  


I tend to buy fabric and decide what to use it for later.  I buy what I like.  This got me into trouble when I had an abundance of large scale multi-color prints.  I try to buy with more diversity now.  Medium and small scale prints, tone on tone, and two color too

Recently I started a BOM class doing Kaffe Fassett's Imari plate quilt from his book Quilts of Sweden.  Its a medallion quilt and I decided to go very scrappy and use my extensive Denyse Schmidt stash.  But how to begin?  The idea of a rainbow stuck in my head.


I started by sorting by print size and type.  As you can see I spread fabrics all over the floor sorting.  I leaned toward a rainbow effect the first week with the center block.

Looking at all the piles of sorted fabric I carefully chose 8 colors for the petals.  I paid attention to the numbers of colors in each print and the scale, trying to be somewhat consistent.


I went with the dark gray background to make the other colors really pop.  I chose the medium gray leaf print for the center.  Many others fussy cut centers but I wanted the petals to be more of the focal point  


I was very pleased with my center.  The next BOM was a pieced border.  My challenge was what fabrics to pick .  I needed a center, middle and background fabric.  It also had to mesh with the center.  I carefully picked two fabrics to go with each color I had chosen for my rainbow.  I also picked a coordinating lighter shade to use as the background.  25 different fabrics to acheive that rainbow border.  I also had to coordinate inner border.

I was very happy witht the little logcabins for the border.  And Look.  I think they came out just right.

And here is the carfully assembled border.  I cant wait to plan the next one.  I know it will be a challenge.  Im trying not to repeat fabrics.  Im saving the large scale florals for larger borders where I can fussy cut them.

I hope you find inspiration from this project.

keep  dreaming...Colleen




she gave paint chip numbers to match up your fabric too.

11 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Look at all that yummy fabric and quilts. I tend to buy fat quarter bundles and by the time I get around to the bundle the fabrics have been retired.....hard to find yardage to go with them.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love your new project and super center to it! My BH fabrics are all pulled and waiting.

Michele @ Undiscovered Optimist said...

Your stash is awesome! And you have a great eye for color and volume. I saw the Celtic mystery QAL and was intrigued but I don't have the stash for it yet. Good luck!

Little Island Quilting said...

Is that a stash or a shop?!

Carrie P. said...

looking beautiful so far.
like you I bought fabric I liked but now I am more picky so that I pick things out specifically for a project.
nice stash.

Monica said...

I've got just two words...LOVE IT!

Sarah @ Berry Barn Designs said...

Ahh just look at your stash! I need big bookcases like that... then what I have now wouldn't look like much and I could justify a lot of shopping ; ) Looking forward to following along with you for the SWC series!

Nancy@owensolivia said...

I still get jealous every time I see your stash. :)

Jessica said...

Your quilt is stunning so far! Ahh! I also used to buy more large scale prints but I've changed a lot, too :) My husband would keel over if I had that much fabric - it's an aaaamazing stash!! And thanks so much for participating!

Carrie P. said...

love your new blog look!

Lorna McMahon said...

Wow! You sure do know how to choose fabric! Ha, ha! Really though, your rainbow log cabin border turned out wonderful. Thank so much for sharing!