Monday, April 2, 2012

Vote! and a few finishes...

I am alive and well...to quote a few bloggers who have been AWOL for more than a week.  I have just been busy.  Sewing for swaps, training for the 5K, and trying to deal with my diabetes through eating and medicine management.  I have still been taking pictures and infact have about 7 pages in flickr I havent shared.  Instagram is addictive and I tend to fb, tweet, and flickr pics.  Don't worry I will spread the photos out over the week.  Which by the way is my spring break!  Yeah!  A sewcation!


First up the Dress your roll competition has ended and the voting has begun!  Please go to see Quilt Jane and vote for me LuckyDuckDreams-Dresden chic!  
***************
Now a finish.  I participated in the Pillow Talk Swap on flickr.  My partner was none other then QuiltDad !  That kind of had me nervous, but I put that aside and let the stalking begin.  That is one of my favorite parts of swaps!  Not because I'm crazy, but because I never know what will inspire my design.  In swaps I think you should have something that fits your partner, but also something that reflects you.  I already followed Quilt Dad in the blogs and had met him at Triangle Modern Quilt Guild where he is the swap swami.  I use him as a guide when I plan swaps for the Triad Modern Quilt Guild.  On his inspiration mosaic was a photo of a block made up of 9 Polaroid style quilt blocks.  I had been wanting to try that idea and so this pillow was born.

I chose fabric very specifically and even wrote a little story to go along with the pictures.    I didn't like the idea of just the pictures so thought I would make more of a quilty scrapbooking style.

So I made some hexies with the fabric scraps.

And a little partial dresden,

I also used the hexie paper to quilt with coordinating purple and orange pearl cottons. 

I even put in a hidden zipper which was super easy following this tutorial.   I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Even the back is too cool!  I was going to use the typewriter as one of the Polaroids but didn't realize that they were 6" wide!

I also took the scraps of Lizzy House and whipped up a little box bag, pin cushion, and notepad cover.  Then I want through my notions stash and filled it with great stuff.

Here is the incredible awesome perfect-for-me pillow I received from Mo Bedell.

I just love it!

Keep dreaming...Colleen
My red and white quilt won honorable mention in the challenge quilt category.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Colleen, your pillow looks great! I love the one you received as well. Good luck with the training for the 5K. I am training for on on April 14th.

Sara said...

Wow I love that pillow, Polaroid shots for Quilt Dad---so awesome!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just love all your projects! My you have been busy. Congratulations on your quilt show win.

Carrie P. said...

OOO! you have been busy. Both are super pillows.

Mama Spark said...

I love your Polaroid pillow!! I love your typewriter colors too. Mine is a different color. I would ideally like the color you have. Someday! I love your work girl!