Saturday, July 14, 2012

I jumped...& Friday Night Sewin

Well I am a lemming.  You know those cute little animals that will follow the crowd even to their death.  Yep that's me, experiencing death by quilting or rather Great Granny along.  

I blame Carrie P.  Her blog pushed me over the edge.  For months I have been seeing these granny square quilt-alongs.  I have pinned tutorials.  I have soaked up the retro scrappy goodness of the pattern but ignored the urges to make one.  And then I followed everyone over the cliff.  Last night, after reading Carrie's blog, it hit me I had about 2 jelly rolls worth of feed sack prints, a couple yards of kona coal, and a desire to make myself a vacation quilt.  So...I...jumped.

This is what I had finished before I went to bed, 16 block segments 
(I thought I had 18, it was too late when I wen to bed).

This morning I sewed everything together and made two more blocks .



( I still thought I had 20 now)

I squared them up to 9".  Imagingermonkey's tutorial said 9.25 but my 1/4 foot is not a scant.
I messed around with some layouts on the design wall. And realized I only had 18 blocks, so...

 I took a break and went out for lunch and to run a few errands.  
It is Dress like a cow day at Chick-fil-a.  I couldn't miss that.

When I was out I stopped at Joanne's to get some more kona coal with my 50% coupon.  When I returned I played around with the layout in MS Publisher. 

 I took this picture and uploaded it, copied, and pasted it.  Then I copied it 17x and did a layout on a dark gray background.

I decided on this layout.  I addeded a 10" border to make it 62.5 inch square as a finished size.

I have one left over square and I took some of the many strips I had left that matched the 13 different ones I used in the blocks and whipped up a binding.  
(I need some more of these old bobbins-they're great for storing binding!)

I'm trying to think of how to quilt this and what to do with the leftover block.  Rainbowrobot suggested a matching pillow.  Im thinking a travel pillow as this will be my vacation quilt.  I plan on machine quilting it this weekend.  I can finish the binding traveling in the car on vacation.
*******
I also continued to clean out drawers and shelves in my studio.  Ive been really getting rid of things.
*******
Check out the FridayNight Sewin crowd and see what everyone else is sewing.


Handmade by Heidi

******
keep dreaming...Colleen
QuiltCon blocks made by the Triad MQG.  I sent them today to Elizabeth Hartman!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Love!! The fabrics work so well with Kona Coal - and I think the pillow would be a great idea! You could make a tote bag out of the block, too... and those QuiltCon blocks are beautiful!

Sara said...

That looks like a blast Colleen!! Quilting all night and then the morning and then afternoon--sweet bliss!! Cool binding gadget too.

Carrie P. said...

Well, I guess you can blame me. lol You have been sewing up a storm. They look fabulous. I worked on a couple more today.
those quiltcon blocks look great on your design wall.

Kelly said...

This is gorgeous Colleen! I am putting the Granny Square on my to do list!

Jennifer Wingard said...

You did all those blocks in one evening? That's amazing. Great FNSI result. :)

Barb said...

You sure jumped in with both feet...love them!