Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering...

I was giving the end of quarter test to my 2nd grade class.  We were a year round school and just about to go on a 3 week intersession.  Someone came to my door and whispered the news.  As soon as the test was over I went to the library.  Parent volunteers, at school to help with a library move, stood around a tv watching the news.  I could not believe it. Our school and all schools in the state went on lockdown.  We all left school quickly and quietly at the end of the day.  I went to see my mom and dad.  Then I went home.  I turned on my computer, connected to the interent (dialup) and then clicked on one of my favorite links.  The web cam located on top of the north tower I think.  I had found it a couple of years before and loved to watch the views from there.  It reminded me of my trip to NYC when my friend Susan and I had gone up to the observation deck on the South tower.  I clicked on the link and it said page not found.

I miss having a class.  I used to teach about it.  Patriots Day.  We made flag t-shirts that say I remember 9-11.  We wrote about it.  I still have photocopies of the pictures and words they wrote.  

Our school system does not even really recognize it.  They played a short video (6min) a couple of times today..  But they didn't even send out a schedule until last night.  How are teachers supposed to plan for that?  and there were only 2 times during the regular school day.  

I hope every remembers and never forgets.

keep dreaming...Colleen

2 comments:

Jessica said...

That's so horrible about the "page not found." I was just watching the History Channel footage - it feels like it was just yesterday. I was only in 6th grade and we were writing in our English journals when I heard it on a custodian's radio outside the classroom... today at school I actually bumped into the teacher I had had that day.

Jennifer said...

wow, in nj (northern nj, where we actually can see the skyline most days) - the state set up a curriculum for the week of 9/11 (younger kids get more bullying/differences among people discussion, older kids get more background and what happened) -- i know a lot of it can be found online for free and i know most of the kids in elementary school werent even born, but all the more reason to teach it -- thats sad to hear that there was so little talked about...