Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Sewcation part 2

Catching up on my blog posts going back to June.

After I spent a few days in Boone at the NCRA leadership Conference I traveled on to Gatlinburg to stay in my parents Blue Green vacation club. 

 It was a lovely place.

The drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains was beautiful.
The place was a lovely condo with wildlife every where. 

 Though I never did see that bear. 
 There was plenty of room for me to set up my sewing area.  And even an empty chest to store my fabric.
 I used the included ironing board and iron. 

My goal was to make the Kauffman Solids challenge quilt. 

I had a triptic board covered in felt to use as a design wall.

As you can see I had fun and accomplished my goal. 

I also worked on the cancer quilt.  I need to finish sewing on the borders and then quilt it.

There was a great Fabric Store on the Artists 8 mile loop. 
 It was a moda fabric lovers dream. 

The store was in a small pedestrian mall. 

 She had a long arm studio in another storefront across the way. 

Her husband helps her out. 

When I was there he was cutting fat quarters. 

She had lots of repros-40s and Civil War prints. 

I really loved this quilt pattern. 

She also had a lot of batiks. 

This is the quilt she designed for the recent shop hop that unfortunately had already happened the weekend before.
It was a wonderfulfour days in Gatlingburg.  Its a little commercial though more quaint then Pigeon Forge.  It was just nice to get away from life and be ablt to sew without distraction.

Keep dreaming...Colleen


2 comments:

beecee(sundaybee) said...

Your retreat sounds idyllic. How lovely your quilts are - the cancer quilt is a stunner. I look forward to seeing more photos

Lana said...

What a beautiful place...of course you KNOW i loved the photos of the bunnies!!! Your work is so perfect every time and isn't it fun to visit new quilt shops? I just did yesterday in OK while visiting my daughter in OKC. I hope you were able to rest and catch up and enjoy your time.