Thursday, January 6, 2011

Change of plans, have you ever....

 started a project without a goal in mind as to how it would look but with a goal in mind as to what you would do with it? 
I did with the blue(rainbow) scrap challenge (see link above). 
This was going to be a table runner/candle mat  for a family gift exchange this weekend.  Well now its not.  Now I'm thinking if I am going to be working with scraps each month maybe I  will add to the blue thing above. 
What do you think?

Borders? Sections? Individual blocks?
Wild and free?
Can you picture the random areas of color?
Let me know what you think.

I still needed a present for Saturday. 
So I went ahead, dived(dove?) into and pulled out 17 charm squares, a scrap of muslin, and whipped up a slightly smaller varied version of my Charming Candle mat pattern.

(I know I promised a tutorial but 'Ive been busy!).

P.S. Have you seen the gorgeous block Lana made for me in the Block Swap Adventure, that is even now winding its way across the country?  Check it out here.

PPS  Check out my friend Cheryl Lynch, she has a new book coming out January 11. 
Check out the details here.





Keep dreaming…Colleen

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

If you are going to expand on the blue/white - I would pull the plaids and stick to the indigos. Plaids are very hard to work off of and have more of a "country" feel rather than the modern texture you are going with. It would work great as a binding to the whole piece.

Shannon said...

I like the idea of making something that you can add to each month. I have been thinking the same thing. I still have no ideas yet, but I am working on it. I am not sure about how to build off of your blue piece. Maybe you can keep adding pieced borders in the new color and make it look like a rainbow. Good luck.

Micki said...

I love the blue and white project. It will be working on the Rose of Sharon quilt which will take me a while to make, so I can appreciate a work in progress.
Micki

scraphappy said...

Stripes?

Anonymous said...

I think it would be great with other colors added. Sort of like a modern crazy quilt. Thanks for the tip on the book. I've seen some gorgeous Mexican tiles, so I'll have to take a look at it.