Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Quilt Blocks for Cancer



Today starts team Lucky Duck's new fundraiser for Relay for Life called Quilt Blocks for CancerAs many of you know I am a five year Stage 4 uterine cancer survivor.  I have had a desire to give back to those who suffer since I was cured.   Two years ago I started Team Lucky Duck to participate in Kernersville, NC Relay for Life event.  Friends and mostly family have helped me to raise money for the American Cancer Society.
Thats me in the braids.  Yep my hair grew back!
I have Lucky Duck tshirts for sale in my Etsy store and on my blog, all the money goes to Relay.
This year we will be unable to participate due to a family event. I would still like to raise money and would like my Blog family to participate as well.

I am asking you, my blog friends to send quilt blocks for me to assemble together to make a quilt to raffle off. The quilt block can be a memorial, in honor of, or just a celebration of life. I would like any 12.5" unfinished star blocks.  Applique, embroidery, words, and embellishments are welcome.  Cancer survivors are STARS and they should SHINE!  Here is a pattern for my favorite basic star block.  Or you could send a 5" square to use in the border with a message of hope written on it. 

I would like you to use bright, fun colors.  If you want to coordinate your colors with a certain cancer here is the link to what color goes with what cancer.  This should not be just a pink quilt. I want to honor all cancers.

Peach is the color of my cancer. The mother of one of my students died this year from ovarian cancer and I would like to use teal and create a block in memory of her.  I would like to collect the blocks through March 31st, assemble it  and find someone to quilt it for me in April, and raffle it in May and the beginning of June .  (Anyone willing to quilt it for me?)

Blocks can be sent to this address:

Colleen Yarnell
570 Cedarbook Ct
Lewisville, NC  27023

I am so blessed with my relatively good health.  I want to help fight for those who are not so lucky.  If you can not send a quilt block please consider donating to Team Lucky Duck.


Please share this with your friends and blog about it.  Use the Quilt Blocks for Cancer button to link to this blog page.Keep dreaming...Colleen
Me with my amazingly supportive parents and sister
when I was going through chemo.  I'm the one with no hair.  LOL!

10 comments:

Shannon said...

I would love to help out. I will make a block. I am happy that you are well. I am sure you and your family are also. Hang in there you are doing wonderful work!!

urban craft said...

THis is wonderful! I wish I knew how to quilt. I think it's about time I learned!

Lana said...

Hi Colleen! I didn't know you were a fellow survivor! I am a 10 year survivor of cervical cancer myself! This is an amazing event! I will definitely send a block for myself and one for my friend Joyce that is a recent breast cancer survivor and then donate!
Good for you for doing this!

Mary said...

Colleen, my mother passed away with her 2nd bout of cancer. She was pregnant with me during the first and it was pretty bad. She prayed to God just to let her see me grow up. Two weeks after I moved away to college, she had a brain hemmorage and passed away a little over a year after that. My siblings and I are so happy we had that extra 19 years! It was 2 different types of cancer. I think I will do white (lung...she didn't smoke but we think she inhaled a lot of fumes at work) and I will have to look up melanoma (the one she had when she was pregnant with me. Would you like me to do a blog post requesting blocks or not? Email me and let me know.

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I made one for you, posted here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53264680@N08/5533078781/

and have plans to do one in light blue for prostate cancer for my dad.

Teresa F. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa F. said...

Hi Colleen I'm glad to Know you are winning your battle. I lost my father to cancer when I was only 25 and it was very hard ( he was 52). My grandmother died from cancer too. I posted about your Quilt Blocks for Cancer. Unfortunately as I live in Portugal I can't send you a block for it wouldn't get there in time.

Angie said...

My mom has had cancer 3 times. I will make either 2 small blocks (one for each type of cancer she has had). Or one large one with both colors (purple and black) let me know what your needs are once you have a count. ;)

Sue Niven said...

Whilst i am not a quilter, I would love to contribute to this, I would be very happy to post to you 5 inch squares to use in the borders, I will check out the colours you are using and then make about 50 squares if that is ok,

Sandy said...

Hi Colleen! I found your blog from reading Stray Stitches blog last week. I made 3 blocks for you. Two are in honor of my Grandmother, Dolores, who died from stomach and esophogus cancer in 1990. The other is made in honor of my friend Margi's mom who died from breast cancer when we were 12. I have posted pictures of the blocks on my Flickr and will hopefully be mailing them out to you tomorrow. Monday at the latest. http://www.flickr.com/photos/54116105@N03/sets/72157626228455819/
Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product!=)