Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sizzix dies for Quilting part 2

I had some many comments and questions about Sizzix dies for quilting I thought I would share a little more. BTW Sizzix Bigz dies can cut the following as stated on the website
 "A Bigz die cleanly cuts thick materials, including cardstock, chipboard, fabric, foam, magnet, leather, metallic foil, paper and sandpaper (in limited use). " 
*****
OK so this die is one of Tim Holtz's, I think its called Tattered Florals.

I used it this summer to make fleece embellishments for some scarves I made to sell at craft shows and give as gifts and there are some in my Etsy store too.
I also used some of my HK (Hello Kitty) dies I bought in the Sizzix outlet online for about $3 a piece.  These are my practice blocks. 
Yes you can use fusible.  I fact it works real well even with teeny tiny pieces, like the eyes.  I made a special travel pillowcase for my sister that ended up with the an HK angel on it.

These are ornaments I die cut with fusible backing that are precut to make a Christmas candle mat.  Again these dies only cost about $3-$4 dollars from the Sizzix outlet or on Ebay.
I also used the candy cane die cut to make my mug rugs for my volunteers in my library this Christmas, using a great red and white stripe.

Here is the other Westminster Quilting petals die that I did not show you before. 
So here is the fun I had last night cutting out wool felt shapes to make flowers.  These are fun to make on trips.  I love this so much better then trying to hand cut the same shapes.

I put this tin in my travel sewing bag, add a bag of pin backs, hair clips, buttons and I have what I need to be creative.  Oh and a box to store the completed flowers with out crushing them.  These are just me playing around, its like playing with Lego's.  I like to sew them together and not glue like some do.
I hope this answers every ones questions.  I can not emphasize enough how I watch espec the Sizzix website especially the outlet and eBay and I bought everything real cheap on sale or clearance.  Except for the petals, leaves, and hexagon dies.  They cost $19.99 a piece.  Though with my luck they will probably go on sale next week.  LOL!

Keep dreaming...Colleen


I quilted my name when I took the long arm certification
class at my LQS 2 weeks ago.


3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for posting more on this subject. I find a may just have to start looking into this. I like that you can cut paper, card stock, fabric with one machine - and much cheaper dies.

Barb said...

What another fun toy.....love all the dies.

Joanna said...

Both Amazon and Overstock were sold out of the Big Shot the other day. Isn't that something? I love what you've been making with yours. The mug rugs and flowers are sweet.