Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Horror and sadness

I wanted to post for just a moment on something non quilty.  As an American I am proud of the job our soldiers do to protect freedom in this country.  As an American I am appalled at the celebrations I saw happening at the colleges and universities in our area and around our the nation.  Students were behaving as if a football game had been won, throwing toilet paper and cheering, lighting bonfires.  Very few were shown holding candle light vigils and prayers for the soldiers  and peace.  I can understand the cheering USA but Im in horror at this lack of empathy and celebration of killingas were my family and friends.  I dont think we teach enough of the following to our younger generation.

Do not gloat when your enemy falls;
when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice. 
Proverbs 24:17        

*Please note I corrected an error in my quote that I could not access to fix earlier.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.Keep dreaming...Colleen


Martin Luther King, Jr.
Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/martinluth101472.html#ixzz1LPz9w6lf.”
 

 


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

12 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I agree with you. And it is all over the web, tv, you name it. I thought it was 'secret' op. I will light a candle tonight for those fallen.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I have not said a thing anywhere for this very reason. It is sad. I am going to share this on facebook.

Charlene S said...

I agree with you. Celebrating someone's death, no matter how evil, is appalling and can bring nothing but trouble. Instead pray for those who died in the last 10 years because of this man's hate. Don't continue that hate! Thank you for expressing your feelings...now I know I am not alone.

Petit Design Co. said...

Just FIY that is not a real quote by MLKJ. It has sprung up in the last few days but that is not his quote.

Petit Design Co. said...

here is a link to the quote
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpps/news/martin-luther-king-quote-goes-viral-dpgoh-20110504-fc_13044122

Barb said...

As my son and I were traveling on Sunday (he is military) his brother called us and told us the news. I told my son that it is sad that you would wish someone dead, no matter how evil. I agree with what you have said.

WoolenSails said...

I have refrained from commenting on it myself.
Your quotes say it all.

Debbie

Jenny Squawk said...

Complete agreement. Because really is his death better than the ability to one day change his ways and attain salvation for the wrongs?

Pauline said...

I've been pondering about this for the last few days. I also wonder about 'innocent until proven guilty in a court of law' - I'm assuming you have something similar in USA, or do you have laws that override this?

September 11th was a terrible day, but execution without due process isn't nice either...

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I was in horror when I saw people celebrating and saying they were happy that people had been killed. Really? Happy? Now how is that not just the other side of the same coin?

Kelly

Anonymous said...

I agree. Yes it is good when someone bad is stopped. But to rejoice over killing is not. I always try to remember what Romans 12:18-21 says 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “Vengeance is mine; I will repay, says Jehovah.” 20 But, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals upon his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.

it is promised in the bible that God will step in at his due time and remove all wickedness from the earth. When that time comes we can then rejoice about something that is truly good.


Ann Flowers

Dana Gaffney said...

I'm with you. When I heard the news and saw the celebrations it made me sad. I felt like it should have been a time of quiet and reflection, especially at Ground Zero.