Sunday, February 12, 2012

What I've Been Sewing

First I wanted to let you know one of the reasons why I have not been posting as much.  I've started a new excerise training program at our local Fleet Feet store called No Boundaries.  Between dealing with my type II diabetes and the effects the medicines I take for it, I have lost the will to move.  I have always been such an outdoor person that I decided I needed to do something.  Through better regulated eating I have been slowly losing weight, though still have about 50 pounds to go.  Now I have a plan to get me to the activity level I need to do every day.  Plus there is daily guidance.  Mondays and Thursdays we meet at 6pm, all 150 of us, and run (though I walk) the prescribed distance and then we stretch together.  Im loving it!  I have always loved to walk but now have constant encouragement-there are 20 plus coaches/mentors.  My goal is to get in shape and continue to lose weight so I no longer need the medicine that has given me such bad side effects for the last couple of years.
*****
So back to sewing.  Tuesday is Triad Modern Quilt Guild and as swap Mama I am hosting a Travel Pillow swap.  Here is the pillow I created for my secret partner.  

I used my EZ Dresden ruler and pulled out 20 + scraps from my special scrap bin, so each blade is different.  
I offset them on a Kona Ash background. 
 I freehand quilted in 5 different pearl cottons.  I did not plan out the design but just let the color and the space dictate the design.  I put in my first hidden zipper on the side and it was simple!  I can't find the link I used, but Design Sponge has a good tutorial doing it the same way.  

So here again is the finished pillow!  I love how it turned out!  It look nice on my studio chair.  I may have to make one for myself!
*******
I'm also making a pillow for the Pillow Talk Swap.  Here are some of the fabrics.
I love using instagram on my iphone for quick pictures.
And have started to play with the design.

Can you tell that they will be Polaroid pictures?  I still have fabrics to play with.  I plan to piece the whole top and then use my embroidery machine to add captions to the photos.
*****
I forgot to blog about Superbowl Sunday.  Not so much about the game as I am not that into sports.  But I usually hang with mom and dad and make some good finger foods.  Mom supplied veggies & dip and chips & salsa as well as shrimp.  Dad vetoed the usual favorite of pigs in blankets.  So I decided to make Pioneer Woman's Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders
They were easy to make!  I halved the recipe and made 6 sliders.  
 Don't look too hard at my messy presentation.
They were very good!  Everyone loved them including me!

 I also whipped up a batch of PW Strawberry oatmeal bars for dessert.  Yummy!  

And Dad agreed!
******
Today I'm working on basting two tops.  First my red and white challenge quilt.  I kind of got sidetracked on this but need to step it up. I will use more of the Bliss red and white for the binding.  I'm entering this in the quilt show and only have a month to quilt it.
backing
Second I finished up this quilt top.  I'm also entering this in the general quilt show.  I will straight line machine quilt this.  I have to get one small piece of fabric because I ran out of  the Jay McCarroll and used up the Freespirit Dogwood Gray for the backing.  I will put a scrappy binding on this.  

This was a project from the Modern Quilt Guild challenge.

Keep dreaming...Colleen
I received this in the mail.  My prize from #talknt twitter chat party.
Moda was the sponsor and I received a bag full of mini charm packs and a United Notions pouch!

8 comments:

Donna said...

You secret partner is very, very lucky. The pillow is wonderful. In the south your food presentation says "finger licking good!" There is no better food! Happy quilting.

Janet said...

Yay for you! Good luck with the weight loss and exercise program.

Jessica said...

That is a gorgeous pillow! I'm in love. Good for you - I need that kind of exercise encouragement. Keep it up! :)

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Love your dresden pillow! Beautiful!!

Sara said...

Girl you have been a busy these days!!

Love the freehand lines in your Dresden pillow and the diamond you are working on.

great prizes from #talknt!!

Paige said...

What a great pillow Colleen! Is Stacy one of the coaches for No Boundaries? She was my triathlon coach two years ago!

Kelly said...

I LOVE MY PILLOW!!!!! :o)
It is so beautiful, the stitching makes it shine!
Can't wait for our next swap. TMQG Rocks!

Carrie P. said...

I just love the pillow you made.
Your food photos are making me hungry!
Congrats on your awesome win.